Sharing digital texts



I have really enjoyed all of the hypertext fiction pieces we have looked a throughout the semester and found inspiration for my final through them. I enjoy the users ability to explore a story by clicking to different pages and finding out how different stories link together. It makes it feel more entwined than a novel. I also appreciate the non linear aspect. Since there is freedom to move around in the text, the reader may find things out in a non linear timeline, but in the end they have the full story. It feels a lot like a puzzle, pieces make sense as you go along.

One project that stuck with me was "Disappearing Rain" by Deena Larsen (http://www.deenalarsen.net/rain/index.html). It is a hypertext fiction story that follows a missing girl and her family trying to find out what happened. There are so many ways to explore the 144 pages of the story. You can choose a character and go through all the sections they are included in, you can click certain words, or go through the poem presented at the beginning of the site. This design and style allows for readers to put everything together as they go and they can choose how they do it. I think giving the reader a say and participation in how they read the full story is very creative and each person can go through things in a different order. I definitely want to incorporate this ability for exploration in my final project.


Comments

  1. I also really like hypertext/interactive fiction! One of the first pieces of digital literature I read was interactive fiction, so I think I'll always have a soft spot for branching-type narratives

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cool example of possibilities! This one definitely feels like puzzle pieces!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

VR and Empathy Machine's

VR and Empathy- Hannah S.

Sharing Digital Texts - Cameron Whitney