Entre Ville, Cyborg Manifesto, My Body Wonderkammer Post

I found My Body a Wonderkammer be very interesting to navigate through. I am still unsure of the why the algorithm sent me to the places that it did, but I still appreciated it. I found her obsessions with bodies a little bit odd but though provoking. I think her project is a mediation on who we are and what our relationship is to our bodies. As she says in one of her poems: "It is a secret, busy space, and when I imagine myself inside it, I am filled with satisfaction and glee." Our bodies are what we live inside of, but we also don't. We are detached from our bodies in a sense because they are only a means to an end. I thought the use of making the body one big hypertext picture to be explored was very interesting because it showed how each body part is connected to another and how her stories and memories of body parts compel her. I thought her feelings on the fact that she will never know what its like to have the opposite sex organ was interesting, to say the least. She felt that it was analogous to color in that what we see as red might be different to someone else. I felt that this was sort a post-modernist view because it rejects the traditionally accepted logic of sexual dualism. 

Entre Ville was a coo hypertext project. I liked the UI of the page and how it was on a piece of paper. I liked the rough sketches of the buildings too. I like how this piece puts the viewer in the seat of the artist by giving them a notebook looking background with rough sketches on it. When you click on the windows, you are shown close ups of plants and buildings and you hear things that the artist would have heard. This is a postmodern technique because it blurs the lines between reader and writer. I like being able to see what the writer sees and then read his poetry on it.

The most interesting thing about the Cyborg Manifesto that I've read so far is the idea that the cyborg transcends the duality of gender. By being part human and part machine, there is freedom from the constraints of gender and therefore, all differences are removed. It makes me ask: are we still human at that point though? Isn't part of what makes us human our physical limitations? Is a world with no gender truly better? Maybe, maybe not. How does this affect us as humans socially? Would we be more or less prejudiced? 

Comments

  1. I totally agree with the questions you asked about gender being transcended via technology. It seems almost ironic considering how much coding is binary and how much technology can seem so black and white, definitive and concrete when there's so much variance to it. I also wonder, if gender is the expression of self, how will cyborgs take the concept? Why would they rely on human genders when they have no necessary application or experience of the biological sexes, male and female? Just interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The home (body) page is an interesting gateway/interface. It demands that we enter from one of her body parts and once we are inside we can't come back (as, I think, Hannah mentioned in her post, there's only the back button). So being lost inside her thoughts and exploring deeper into her parts is part of what makes it so personal I think. Also, there are places (or cabinets/drawers) you can't get to from the main image map. A cabinet of wonders.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

VR and Empathy Machine's

VR and Empathy- Hannah S.

Sharing Digital Texts - Cameron Whitney